2013年6月20日星期四

MPLS for my Company - ISP offers managed router - yay or nay?


Question:

I wanted to get some opinions on Catalyst 3560X the topic above.  We are purchasing MPLS services from a large ISP and they offer a managed router option.  I will also have a Cisco ISR 2900 at each site running SRST for my voice system.  I have some experience with BGP and am not scared at all to support it if need be.  That said, I am currently looking at pros and cons of going with a managed router from this company vs managing my own.  Actually, I will manage my own regardless and would just plug it into the managed router.  My router is perfectly capable of handling the BGP protocol but I am hoping that I can get some opinions from all of you.  Thanks in advance!


Pros/Cons of Managed and Unmanaged MPLS router.


Answer:

there are some operational advantages:
If the router fails, the provider has to fix/replace it in a time given by the contract SLA.
And it's also his responsibility to configure the CE router correctly to comply with the PE router configuration and the provider standards.
There is a clear demarcation line of responsibility: the provider is responsible for any trouble up to the CE router LAN port.

On the other hand, it's important for the customer to get an efficient read-only access to the routers - some providers don't like to let the customers to see the running config, e.g., and provide only a restricted set of CLI commands to the customer.

And last but not least:
The contract should cover how much would the customer pay for configuration changes on the CE routers managed by the provider. Some providers do the changes for free, some require payment per a config change.
But it's more about the contract conditions than WS-C3560X-24T-L Price technical aspects.

没有评论:

发表评论